Friday, January 15, 2010

January 12th: Double Trouble

So some of you reading this may think that I'm crazy for continuing to take two classes back to back on the same day. I promise that there is a method to the madness. For one, I kill two chirpy spandex-clad birds with one stone (just kidding). Second, I only have to set aside one block of time and get showered and changed once. Lastly, it's much harder to do subsequent days as I am usually in some kind of desperate pain in between. For example, after my Yoga class, I had sore calves for a week. I had to power through. I'm not a believer in the "no pain, no gain" philosophy but I am a realist and I know that anytime you have been inactive, there will be muscle soreness (not to be confused with injury) associated with the workouts. A friend of mine told me that eventually the soreness would subside. When I can barely walk up a flight of stairs, I curse that friend's name.

So it makes sense to have rest day sometimes. Tuesday concluded my rest period. I visited the South Neighborhood YMCA for a double dose of stepping. I spent time in Janie's Cardio Step class and stuck around to vist with Sasha as she "walked it off."

I found it amusing that after class Janie approached me and apologized for being "so silly." I told her that her lightheartedness is what made the class so enjoyable. Janie not only had incredible energy and stamina but she had a sense of humor and brought a sunny disposition to the class. She talked even took a few minutes to banter about the new season of American Idol. The concept that has been reinforced to me as I have attended these classes is that no matter the workout, no matter the skill level of the instructor or participants, no matter the size or shape of the room, or the quality of the equipment, two things matter above all others-fun and friendships. Those two simple things can make an otherwise unbearable workout into a social and enjoyable experience.

Cardio Step made me sweat more than any other class that I have taken so far. Strangely none of the women in the class seemed to sweat at all. One of them kindly pointed out that "men and women sweat differently," making a genuine effort to make me feel better about the fact that I was morphing into a human puddle. I was reminded of something that my grandmother used to say, "Women don't sweat, they perspire."

I sweat. And sweat I did. Cardio Step was much harder to modify as it was a series of rapid on-again, off again, around and through movements that were tricky to master. Interestingly, over the course of the class, I did get better. I can see how over time and with practice, this could become second nature. Another interesting thing that I noticed in Cardio Step is that it was the most like what I originally envisioned when I thought of group exercise. Not that it was predictable. There were moves thrown in that even a fortune teller couldn't predict, but overall it was a class that I believe has a wide appeal because it was a timeless format.

Next up was Sasha's Walk it Off class, aptly named due to Sasha's ability to always find ways to throw in the catchy "Walk it off" catch phrase. I definitely walked it off. I think Sasha was a little concerned as I walked into class already soaked neck to navel. She made sure to ask me later if I had taken another class. I think she was concerned that I really had walked it all off and had nothing left. Once I told her I had already taken Cardio Step she looked relieved.

Walk it off was really more of a workout than I expected. There were weights involved and also a step. As a matter of fact, if you are interested in taking Cardio Step, I feel like Walk it Off would be a good starter class. You get used to the step but the choreography is a lot simpler. While you will not get the same level of workout, you certainly have the option of making the workout simpler or more challenging for yourself based on how you modify the techniques. Some people will really appreciate that Sasha has actually formatted the class so that you are walking a full three miles during the time you are in class. Of course, most of this walking is happening in place, sometimes with lunges or squats thrown in for good measure. I thought this class may be more of a saunter but it turned out to be a speed-walk.

Janie's Cardio Step class is Tuesdays & Thursdays from 9am-10am at South Neighborhood
Sasha's Walk it Off class is Tuesdays & Thursdays from 10:15am-11am at South Neighborhood

No comments:

Post a Comment