Monday, January 18, 2010

January 14th: Dynamic Duo

I know there are those of you who make a habit of taking two classes back-to-back. For me, the concept is new but I am now learning how to best pair classes. The two classes I took on Thursday evening at the Dickenson YMCA were perfectly complementary. I took Zumba with Debby followed by Pilates with Cynthia. The instructors were very different and yet the two very different styles and techniques blended together harmoniously. Two reasons may have been that several class participants from Zumba also stayed for Pilates and that the classes both took place in the same room.

Now for those of you who have read my blog before, you know that I've already attempted Zumba. Apparently I had so much fun the first time, I decided to go back. Only this time, I took the class with Debby. What I found most fascinating about Debby's class was how different it was from the previous Zumba class I had taken. Debby, as every instructor does, adds her own unique interpretation of the material. She is both laid back and energetic which results in a unique combination of fun and a little bit of silliness which her class participants really seem to enjoy. Debby also clearly enjoys the relationships she has with her participants. She made sure to acknowledge students returning to class after some time away as well as make the newcomers feel at ease. By far the most noticable trait of Debby's is how obvious it is that she loves Zumba and she loves teaching. I get the clear impression that teaching Zumba is not just a job for Debby, it is a passion. You could hear the excitement in her voice as she talked about a Zumba "master" who was coming to town to teach a class. Her enthusiasm was contagious. If you are intimidated about group exercise classes or you need a good class to get you started, Debby's 5:45pm Tuesday/Thursday Zumba class at the Dickenson YMCA is a great choice.

So after getting warmed up in Zumba, I decided to take Pilates with Cynthia immediately following. I didn't really know what to expect so I tried to keep an open mind. There were several veterans in the class who were quick to help me get my equipment together. I needed a mat, an execise ball (both a small and a large), as well as some weights. I've always thought Pilates was just like Yoga but only "stretchier," but it turned out to be somewhat more involved. While stretching is certainly a component of Pilates (some of the terms are even shared with Yoga) there seems to be much more of a focus on muscle strengthening. There was, in my opinion, a fair number of abdominal exercises as well as several exercises that helped in improving balance. This was the first time I had ever used an exercise ball for its intended purpose and, being a bigger guy, I thought it was going to burst the moment I applied my full body weight. Fortunately that did not happen and I do feel like I was able to focus on my stablizing muscles and creating a sense of physical and mental balance. Okay, I know, it sounds a little new-agey...that's what I thought too. If you try it you will see, though, that it is actually a very good workout and not at all easy. There was even a gentleman in the room who I believe was a former marine. Of course, like most good instructors, Cynthia offered modifications for individuals who could not achieve certain postures. Cynthia made it a priority to make sure that each specific exercise was accessible to everyone and gave plenty of positive encouragement to those who may have been new or struggling. Pilates is not something you should expect to be proficient at immediately. It takes some focus and some practice but if you attend class with Cynthia regularly, I have no doubt you will see results. Cynthia's Pilates class is on Tuesdays & Thursdays from 6:45 to 7:45 at the Dickenson YMCA.

No comments:

Post a Comment