Tuesday, January 5, 2010

January 5th: The First Class

So today was my first day! I was very strategic in my choice of my first group exercise class to attend. I knew I had to choose something that was fun and high-energy so as to not get discouraged too quickly out of the gate. The answer was simple-Zumba! Having never taken a group exercise class before, I did not really know what to expect. My preview was the outfit the instructor Lisa Gray was wearing. Camoflage pants and a leather, studded belt. It doesn't get much more fun than that.

We started off with a brisk walk around the room. Initially it was just me and a few ladies who clearly knew the routine. They quickly got me motivated telling me "Chris, get those arms pumping!" So, I pumped my arms and walked a bit faster. This wasn't so hard. Of course all good(and easy) things must come to an end. Before long, it was time to kick it into high gear with some cha-cha, salsa, and other Latin dance steps along with some of Lisa's own signature moves.

As more participants trickled in, I noticed that I was still the only guy. I wasn't suprised. Having worked for the YMCA as long as I have, I've noticed that men have a strange aversion to the group exercise class. Maybe it's all the cheering and positive talk. Lisa was very motivating, I would have to say she was even empowering. She made sure to let us know that even if we didn't quite get the correct moves down, the most important thing was having fun. I honestly think everyone in the class was having a good time. Lisa noticed the new faces in the room and made sure to acknowledge them. Even the newbies felt like they were a part of the Zumba family.

So, all in all, it was a good time. I would definitely recommend Lisa's Zumba class (10:30am-11:30am class Tuesdays at Thornton YMCA) to any experience level, especially beginners. I felt a little clumsy at first navigating my way through the dance moves but Lisa made it easy to learn and I didn't feel at all self-concious when I had to take a few extra beats to figure something out. As far as the physical element is concerned, I did break a sweat and feel as if I got a good lower body workout. Spicy!

1 comment:

  1. well, you know my feelings on zumba and i'm glad that you can join in the greatness!

    ReplyDelete